Thanksgiving really is a beautiful time of the year. When you have the loving relationship with food that I do, it’s amazing that there’s a whole day dedicated to seeing how much turkey you can squeeze in before you collapse on the couch in a tryptophan stupor to watch football. I guess Thanksgiving is also kind of nice when you take the time to stop and think about what the holiday is supposed to mean – recognizing the things we’re “thankful” for.
In that spirit, we started thinking about the technologies in our life that really make things easier. From computers and the internet to electronic recliners (you may think it’s superfluous, but seriously, they’re amazing) to a sweet digital asset management platform, our list of what we’re grateful for could go on for pages. To keep it short and simple, and let you get back to your menu planning for the big day, we’ll just focus on the reasons we’re thankful for our DAM platform.
- One platform for all our media (obviously). It’s right there in the name, so it feels redundant to point out that we like our digital asset management platform because it’s a platform that manages all of our assets … but that is the biggest reason we’re thankful for it. Having one platform that can host all of our text documents, PDFs, images, videos, and even PowerPoint presentations is a huge timesaver when I don’t have to dig through multiple folders on my computer frantically hoping that I didn’t actually delete that one file.
- Robust search engine. When you have everything in one place, it can get kind of cluttered. That’s why having a robust search engine saves the day. Without having to drill down through multiple pages and folders I can do one search and have all the relevant results pop up on one page (that means I also will get results related to the media I was looking for, sometimes this helps spark ideas on cross-promotion or revamping a piece we’ve already done – it’s amazing).
- Cross-channel publishing. In an age where one piece of content living on one platform isn’t doing enough for you or your company. It’s nice to be able to, from one page, publish a piece of content across multiple platforms and channels, and let it do the work for you. We like this feature because it’s a timesaver too. It’s so nice to be able to visit one page and send content to various channels rather than having to visit each of those channels individually to upload or paste a URL in. And it’s automated. It’s amazing.
- Transcoding. This ties in with cross-channel publishing above. When you need to send video to multiple platforms, you have to think about the format you’re sending it. If you have a hi-def commercial video you want to send to YouTube, you should be able to transcode it on the fly to a lower resolution option. Or if you want to send your YouTube video to your iPad app, you need to be able to have a version of the video be something that can fill the whole screen there. We have the right resolution of video for whatever platform we’re publishing to, it saves headaches and embarrassment down the road in so many ways.
- Metrics and analytics. Finally, another reason we’re grateful for our DAM platform is because we can measure the information that helps us make informed decisions. I can see who is using, downloading, embedding, previewing, or searching for content and it helps us understand where we need to dedicate more resources. It helps us understand the validity and usage of our brand assets.
I’ll admit that I’m pretty narrowly focused on our DAM platform recently, but as I sat here thinking about all the awesome opportunities it has created, it was hard to stop at 5. We really are grateful for the access and creative resources that our DAM platform provides.